From new construction to newer resale, it seems that I am always viewing, selling, or evaluating homes in this thriving west Lethbridge neighbourhood. And when families moving to Lethbridge call me for advice on where to focus their home search? I always tell them about Copperwood.
Here are my top 5 reasons to live in Copperwood:
- Shopping and dining: Future vendors in the nearby Crossings development (just across Whoop-Up Drive) include NoFrills, Original Joe’s, Rexall, Tim Hortons, and Boston Pizza. How nice to simply walk down the street for a carton of milk or lunch with a friend? Depending on commercial plans, I anticipate (and hope!) these anchor stores will attract some locally owned vendors as well.
- Schools for all ages: Soon kids of every age will be able to attend school within walking distance of their home in Copperwood (or at minimum, a very short bus ride). Chinook High School and Catholic Central (west) share a beautiful new building in the Crossings. G.S. Lakie middle school is just minutes away in Indian Battle Heights. And a new K-5 public elementary school is being built and planned for completion in Copperwood by September 2017.
- Recreational amenities: The Crossings Leisure Complex is set to open in September 2016, offering 2 NHL sized rinks and a 10-sheet curling facility. An aquatic and recreational centre are also planned. The high school is also attached to the Crossings Branch of the Lethbridge Public Library, a fantastic resource for citizens of all ages.
- Central location: It doesn’t matter if you work west, north or south, just hop onto Whoop-Up Drive as you exit Copperwood, and you are literally minutes from anywhere in Lethbridge, including central south downtown. Of course, the University of Lethbridge is a very short drive as well for students and staff alike.
- An abundance of nature: Copperwood is a mixed-density, residential neighbourhood that was planned with the comfort and enjoyment of its residents in mind. At the heart of Copperwood is Copperwood Park. Many a block party has been held here over the years—often hosted by the principal builders. Additionally, there is the scenic Firelight Pond area to explore, including a pathway system throughout.
The Real Estate Market in Copperwood: Quick Facts
At the time of this writing, there are approximately 1377 households in Copperwood. This number will continue to grow as this subdivision develops further south of the ‘Moonlight’ phase.
Copperwood is compelling for both families and singles because of the great community spirit, appealing new and newer resale homes—including condos and single-family styles—and the overall affordability as compared with more expensive options in other Lethbridge subdivisions.
For 2014 and 2015, the market segments ranged from $150k to $600k, with a dramatic increase in 2015 on the $350-$400k price range. (See chart for details.)
More Quick Facts About Copperwood (2015 MLS®):
- Average sale price: $308,902
- Median sale price: $310,000
- Number of sales: 138
- Average cumulative days on market: 79
- Active listings: 40-60 each month
- Close price to list price ratio: 98.2%
*Statements and figures about Copperwood deemed reliable at time of of posting, but not guaranteed.