Homeowners ask me the same question at almost every listing meeting: what do you think of staging, Karri? It’s a smart question to ask. First impressions are everything for buyers who are in a charged emotional state when viewing homes. However, presenting your home in the best possible light is a strategic process that requires thinking like a buyer, not a magazine editor. Therefore, we conduct a formal staging review before listing any home in Lethbridge.
The staging review is a process in which I walk through the entire property with the homeowner and look at features through the eyes of our perfect buyer. What looks good in a photo might not make sense to someone physically walking through the home, their senses on high alert.
Here are some key features to evaluate when staging your Lethbridge home for sale:
- Do I feel excited when I drive up to the home? Is the lawn cut? The snow shovelled? The paint… peeling?
- From the master bedroom to the basement laundry, does the home smell pleasant?
- Is the front entrance welcoming, or am I tripping on things as I walk through the door?
- What’s broken that might make me think the seller hasn’t kept up with basic home maintenance?
- Does the seller appear to love their home or not really care anymore?
- Can I picture moving my own things into the spaces and making the house my own?
- Do I feel distracted by highly personalized decor and colours? (“It’s just paint” isn’t an excuse.)
- When I look out to the backyard, do I see a relaxing space or piles of neglected clutter?
- Are the closets and cupboards clean and spacious? Is the oven full of baked-on grime? (Yes, I’ll look.)
These may seem like nit picky details, but they create a very strong impression for potential homebuyers who often have many homes to choose from in Lethbridge.
Strategically re-staging a property using homeowner resources Can Offer Good return on the Money and Time Spent Preparing a Home for SAle
Accessorizing, rearranging furniture, deep cleaning, finally doing those home repairs, and even ensuring documentation and surveys are up to date, all serve to create a positive feeling for the buyer who wants a home, not a project. After all, this really isn’t HGTV. It’s real life 😉
Watch my video below to get additional tips on how to stage and re-stage a home, then contact us or schedule a call to find out what we can do for your home so that you attract qualified buyers for top dollar!