Having been through this myself, I know from the depths of my Type A soul that there is nothing more disruptive to daily life than having your home on the market. No matter what the motivation is for selling, every homeowner wants a quick sale (and for top dollar).
Beyond the hassle of keeping your house showhome-ready, there are several other reasons why you might want to sell your home quickly. For example, a job change may require a speedy relocation to another city, or you may have purchased another property and don’t want to be stuck with two mortgages (and two property tax bills!).
Moreover, the longer your home languishes on the market, the more likely it is that you will NOT receive top dollar. Buyer agents, after all, have access to the exact same market data that your listing agent does.
So, instead of hoping and praying for a good result, be strategic!
Here are 5 tips to help get that SOLD sign on your front lawn sooner:
1) Be realistic with price. If you set the listing price higher than the current market value of your home, then you’re not going to get many, if any, buyers through the door. You want the list price to be compelling, which means listing at—or even below—market value.
2) Get things fixed. You probably don’t have time for a major renovation. So just make sure everything in your home is in good working order. Deal with any obvious maintenance issues, such as a leaking faucet or a gate hanging precariously on one hinge.
3) Ensure your home shows well, inside and out. Eliminate clutter. Trim hedges. Make sure every room has adequate lighting, especially the basement. Imagine that a special guest is visiting your home, then clean up and prepare accordingly.
4) Be flexible with viewing times. You want as many potential buyers as possible to see your home, so don’t restrict showings to just evenings or weekends. Make sure your home is as “available” as possible. This may cause you and your family some inconvenience, but the reward will be selling your property sooner. Remember: it only takes ONE right buyer to to sell a house!
5) Choose a knowledgeable REALTOR®. Find an agent who understands the area and the local market well. He or she will be able to recommend a variety of strategies that will help sell your home faster, and for a good price.
BONUS TIP: Select the listing agent who will be honest and direct about all of the above! If the agent sitting at your kitchen table is afraid to tell you things you don’t want to hear, you WILL pay for this in the end … by way of a painful price reduction and/or lowball offers.
Of course, there is no way to guarantee that you’ll sell your home within the time frame you want. But doing your homework—and some hard work—now will increase your ability to attract strong offers and hopefully, a quick sale.
Below is an interesting chart showing how long it takes to sell a home in Lethbridge. Are these numbers what you would expect? Let me know if you have any questions. I’m here to help!
Average vs Median Days on Market (to Sell): Lethbridge Single-Family Homes
(October 2012-September 2013)